DEARBORN, MI – Dearborn City Councilman Robert Abraham is offering $1,000 of his own money as a reward for information on the man who assaulted him in Detroit following a Red Wings hockey game on March 4.
Anyone with information on the assault is asked to call the Detroit Police Tip Line at 800-SPEAK-UP. Anonymous calls are accepted.
According to a Fox News Report:
The Dearborn city councilman looks pretty bad. You would think he was involved in an all about brawl, but when it comes to the blows he took, Abraham said it was one-sided because he was blind-sided. Abraham never saw it coming, sucker punched by a punk.
“You wake up with a knot on your head and a black eye for no good reason at all.”
Abraham is a proud community leader. An accountant by day, but a family man first and foremost and they’re huge Wings fans. They went to the game Sunday night.
“My son’s good friends were in town from Chicago.”
“There’s always a friendly rivalry when you have two guys from Chicago staying with us in Detroit.”
Abraham said they had a great time, left the game and went outside to wait for their ride when they came across a really hostile hockey fan.
“He just saw those Blackhawk jerseys and he felt like those kids were the enemy. You don’t expect somebody to stop their car, put it in park, get out. I remember just saying they’re just kids. They’re just having a good time, leave them alone, we’re going home. We’re not here to cause any trouble.”
“Next thing I know I was on my back.”
He doesn’t remember much, but his wife says Abraham was hit at least three times. She pulled up right around the time the punches were thrown, and his 14-year-daughter won’t ever forget what she saw happen to her dad.
“Somehow he got back to his car and just sped off, and we ended up getting in the car and heading to Henry Ford, unfortunately” … where the councilman was given painkillers, stitches and a CT scan, which showed no sign of internal damage or broken bones.
The $1,000 reward can be collected if the information leads to the arrest of a suspect.
Here are details of the attack, which has been well-publicized:
- At about 6:45 p.m. on March 4, the assault occurred on the west end of Joe Louis
- Arena following the Red Wings vs. Chicago Blackhawks game.
- The assault took place on West Jefferson, across from the Joe Louis Parking Garage.
- The assailant was a white man, approximately 25-30 years old, of average weight and height.
- He fled as the driver of dark blue four-door Chevy SUV. There were three passengers in the vehicle; all appeared to be women.
- The vehicle was leaving the Detroit Red Wings Riverfront parking lot (permits only) onto eastbound West Jefferson.
Related Stories and Links
- Dearborn City Councilman receives stitches after assault outside Red Wings game – MLive.com
- Dearborn City Councilman Attacked Outside Red Wings Game – Detroit News
- Dearborn City Councilman Abraham attacked after Red Wings game – Arab American News
- Dearborn Councilman Roughed Up after Red Wings Game – Fox News